Practical information about borrowing
Students are automatically registrered as patrons. The student card is your library card.
Employees can use their ID card as a library card. Contact the library to activate it.
External users can be registrered as a patron by personal attendance in the library and showing valid ID, or use a library card from other libraries.
Students and employees can borrow books and other materials. If there's material we don't have, we can order this from other libraries free of charge. Others are also welcome to use our collections.
My Account in Oria and how to renew
In My Account in Oria you will find an overview of the loans you've made and what you have requested. You log in with your Feide username and password. For students this means your student number. External users log in with their loan number and password that has been sent to their email.
In My account you can also renew your loans. One-day loans and materials that has a waiting list cannot be renewed. For employees the loans are renewed automatically for six months unless there's a waiting list.
How to order
You can request non-available books if you want to be put on a waiting list. If you want books that are available on other campuses than your own, you do it the same way. If you need material the HVL library doesn't have, you can order this through Oria. You will get a message by SMS or email when your material can be picked up. If a book is available on the shelf, you pick this up yourself.
Please note that you cannot request a book for a specific date, or borrow textbooks or e-books from other libraries.
Remote students can get books and articles sent to them in the mail by making an agreement about this.
You can register your loans by using our self-service machines. Some material has to be registered at the counter.
When the loan period is up, you need to renew or return your materials. They can be returned on either campus, regardless of where they were borrowed. They can also be returned by mail.
The regular loan period is 4 weeks. Please note that some materials can have a shorter loan period.
- Patrons must have a valid library card with the correct contact information to borrow library materials.
- The patron is personally responsible for everything they've borrowed, and that the borrowed material will be returned within the deadline in the same state as it was when they borrowed it.
- The return date will be provided for each document a patron borrows. Materials borrowed from other libraries follow the regulations of the lending library.
- The patron has to replace lost or damaged material. The minimum fee per item is 750 NOK. Borrowing privileges are lost until the fee is paid or the material is returned/replaced.
- Unpaid fees can be sent to debt collection.
- Library patrons have the responsibility to use printed and electronic resources in accordance to the Norwegian Copyright Act (Lov om opphavsrett til åndsverk). Personal username and password to access electronic resources cannot under any circumstances be shared with third parties.
- Failure to comply with the lending policies may result in the loss of borrowing privileges.